Monday, July 03, 2006

Life after lawn mower races...

Well, we did it - we went to the Avery Tomato Festival/US National Lawn Mower Races...I am so sunburned it hurts to move, almost hurts to think...

Not quite what we were expecting, but a great time. We set out at 7:30 am {waking at 6:30, wanting to "get a jump on it"} and rolled into Avery about 11. By 11:15 we had done about everything there was to do...the "hundreds of craft booths from across the country" were 10 - 15 stalls the locals staffed with awnings from the local funeral home; the "extensive farmers market" was 2 card tables with the pickings from one woman's garden; the "live music all day" was gospel & country; the "rides" were non existent unless you brought your own horse or atv to the place; no petting zoo; $6 glasses of lemonade; no air conditioning; the only 2 buildings on main street were locked or closed to the public... It was soooo hot & humid Matt was ready to leave by noon {the races started at 2}...well, I did it - I went insane and started ranting "We drove all the way out here and are getting heat stroke and we're going to stay here until we make a memory, dammit. And I want some pictures!!!" I guess it was the right thing to say because we all burst out laughing - and tried to forget the heat and the fact we forgot lawn chairs, sunscreen & bug spray {so much for planning ahead} and just had fun.

I would do it all again in a heartbeat - the racing was unbelievably fun to watch! Matt's "inspired" and swears he's going to get serious now so he can race on the circuit {oh boy}. There is a girl racer - she has a pink and a purple mower {two different classes} and really knows how to kick some grass! Loving her motto "Congratulations: You have just been passed by a girl!". Sometimes the pictures just speak for themselves...I posted all of them in a new flikr album on the right - I also added the video clips I shot of the races. You must watch at least one {they're short} to get the whole ambiance of the day...If you ever go - bring your own lawn chair, cooler, sunscreen, bugspray, umbrella and be prepared to eat a lot of dust or get an occaisional rock to the head flying off the track.

After a good hour of race watching we were ready to head home...called and cancelled the hotel room in Paris and headed back to civilization, showers, air conditioning & Chili's...I'm a little bummed I missed the Texas Eiffel Tower photo op, but we were so bedraggled, dirty & sunburned at that point further pictures weren't as exciting.

I loved it - dirt, heat and all...in spite of it all we had amazing {and definitely memorable} day!

7 Comments:

Blogger SageHen said...

"Not quite what we were expecting" lol, that is the theme of my blog today, too!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you ended up having a good time! Great entry!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud when I read "we're going to stay until we make a memory!" I could hear my own voice saying that. Sounds like you made a few!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like something my DH would love! Hope the sunburn feels better!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun!!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Glad you were able to turn it into a fun weekend. I had to laugh about your comment about your friend and her cruise!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kandice said...

Sounds like my kind of weekend! Glad that you had a good time... So if Matt's going to work "the circuit", you think you could hook him up with a sponsor {polka dot potato, perhaps?}...? Love the pics. Talk to you soon!

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home