Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Observations on my week in Japan...

This week I've had "Tokyo-TexMex" twice, "Chinese" Chinese food, McDonalds & Starbucks. No sushi. I guess I have to do that next time.

After hearing my class taught 7 times, I understood it in Japanese. I corrected Aya a couple of times ("I haven't said that yet") and really surprised her.

Um, hello - no karaoke??? Next time, watch out Tokyo - I'm singing!

I want to import Pocky, C.C. Lemon, Karada-Meguri-Cha & cheap stationery and export cupcake supplies, Pink Grapefruit lotion, corn nuts & trashy magazines (long story). Just call me Art Vandalay.

Long live Tokyu Hands. Especially their stationery floor. Next year they better take MasterCard, that's all I can say.

I have a new appreciation for squishy western beds. I also have a new appreciation for complicated eastern toilets.

I really bonded with Bill & Donna & Mr. Pickle this trip. They were a fun crew to hang out with.

Here's what I can say in Japanese: Ohayo gozaimas (good morning), Arrigato (thank you), Sumimasen (excuse me/pardon me/I'm sorry), Konichiwa (hello, how are you?), pink (pink - I found this out quite by accident when I was teaching. Surprise! I knew another word!), Sushi (ick), Kowai (scary. example: Pulling the whole sheet of rubs off the backer - KOWAI!), Kawaii (sounds like Hawaii - means cute. As in -my students thought my projects were really kawaii.).

When Dee asked me if I wanted to eat her lovely shoe cream I just about fell out of my chair. When you're in Japan, that would be a SHU CREAM and if someone offers you one EAT IT!!!

It just occurred to me I haven't eaten with a fork for a week...I haven't watched TV either.

I *love* the 100 Yen Store!!!

I want "Girl's Day" (Hinamatsuri - oh! another word!). I want those little cakes!

2 Comments:

Blogger Margie Higuchi said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you're talking my language! Don't you love some the "interesting" things?! You have to find an Asian store in TX. If not, LMK. We have a Japanese supermarket here in Chicago if you need a "fix!" Heehee!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Awww you sound like you had such a great time!!! My sister lived in Japan for a year and she loved the stuff you could get etc. And the 100 yen store...oh man I could tell you stories! But I'm sure you found out for yourself how cool that was. She used to ask us to send her care packages with lots of western stuff. But she told us all the stuff she could find at the 100 yen store...like ketchup! (Important for the Kraft Mac n Cheese she asked us to send her) and other neat stuff that seems to escape me now...have fun in Edmonton! And be safe!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home