Wednesday, February 27, 2008

LIVE from TOKYO!!!!

Wow...I did it. Jen was coming down with a nasty case of flu & had to stay home at the last minute, so all of a sudden I was headed to Tokyo alone. I was a little nervous at first, but I'm downright fearless now. Here's what I know...

I'm posting this on Wednesday at 6 AM Dallas time, which is Wednesday at 9 PM in Tokyo.

Somehow I handled the time warp totally in stride (I may be taking that back in the morning, but I think I totally have this). We took off at noon & I managed to sleep from 2 PM to 9 PM (Dallas time) more or less straight through. We landed at 4:30 PM at Narita & I felt refreshed, but not wired.

I did manage to change my cash, but I can tell the jet lag is kicking in a little, because I have such a sluggish time doing the conversions (example: the bus to the hotel was 3,000 yen which sounds astronomical until you realize it's only $30 - for a 1 1/2 hour ride).

I made it through customs & got all my bags and navigated out of the airport & got on the right bus with no problems.

I think I way over packed. Again.

Tokyo is HUGE. No one prepared me for the sheer scale of this place.

So here I am, on the 35th floor at the Sunshine City Prince Hotel. Here's my view:

Um, my hotel is attached to a mall! HELLO - they should tell you about these things up front. After scoping the restaurant in the hotel (Chinese food entree 9,000 yen. I just stared at it and kept redoing the math. Yep, that would've been a $90 plate of Sweet & Sour Chicken). So, I headed for the mall food court. I'm so grateful Jen warned me about some of the everyday things here - like having to order from the plastic food in the window...

I had something on "hot stone" - my waiter made sounds like sizzling flesh and pantomimed me burning myself horribly and pointed at my bowl and said "no!no!" when he served me. All I could think of was "it's cooked" - sweet. Maybe I'll get brave & do sushi tomorrow...

Um, it took me a while to find, but I got a map to the mall - but I can't read it because it's in Japanese...duh.

I must remember to blog about the toilet another's very complicated. I kind of like it. I filmed some channel surfing (the television shows are wild when you have no clue what they're about) - but it was too long to go on you tube, so I will try another day.

I think I'm going to take a long shower, take a Simply Sleep and go to bed - I'll keep you posted!


Blogger Mary said...

hey there! great to hear from you!! sounds like quite an adventure- have fun! PS: eric says hi!

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you are having a good time and look forward to hearing all about it upon your return. - amy

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home