Thursday, August 21, 2008

Focus...

I'll tell you my secret...

Seriously. Next time you have to do something try setting a timer. When I was young my mom liked to set a timer for tasks - cleaning, homework, whatever & I guess the habit stuck. I do my most concentrated cleaning/cooking/anything when I set a timer for 30 minutes and set boundaries for what I'm going to tackle in that time frame.

Today I worked at home & thought I'd pull the timer out to see how it worked. I set it for 1 hour this morning (from 8-9) to do everything I wanted to do non-work related - that way I reported to my desk @ 9 sharp. Then I set it for an hour - and worked a solid hour. No surfing, no emails, no laundry, no snacking, no dishes - just focus. And every time the timer went off I evaluated what I had done & gave myself a 5 or 10 minute break accordingly. Then back to work for another hour. I think it is how I'm going to work from home from now on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimmers49 said...

This is a good idea! I am always loosing track of time at home because I bounce back and forth from work-laundry-cleaning-blogging-crafting-checking e-mails. The next thing you know the day is nearly over and I have half-completed a ton of things and not completely finished anything. I will give this a try!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful idea!
Most of the time, I work by my self at home but I get distructed by housework, TV, snacks, nap...
manazing my time by timer would work for me too!
I will try it tomorrow!!!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home