Sunday, January 13, 2008

"Sense"-ational Sundays...

Our senses tell a story. I've committed to recording my 5 senses once a week to explore my sensory world. I challenge you to do the same. If you choose to do so, just blog your 5 senses every Sunday & let me know, I'd love to read them.

I reread this after I wrote this I realized most of my senses dealt with food this week...there's a reason for that. As a new year's resolution Matt & I committed to cooking more at home, cooking healthier and planning meals & grocery shopping together. We're going on week three and have only had Chinese food one evening (we're allowing ourselves the occasional treats) - but everything else has been 100% made by us. With the planning ahead we're both less stressed & Matt's even picked up more of the cooking. We also have stopped having sodas in the house and at work...so now instead of 1-3 cokes a day I'm down to 1-3 cokes a week. Matt doing it too, but he's coming off a 6-10 Mt Dew a day habit (!!!). We feel great (shocking, we were expecting nasty headaches) - drinking lots of water & water with the "to go" flavors (my fav is Lemon Propel to go).

I SEE:
I got an unexpected squishy envelope in the mail this week. Inside was a yard of this fabric and this tiny note. It's from my mother-in-law...she sent me lime green skeleton fabric. Wow - she really gets me. Too cool.

I HEAR:


I love the funky sound of The Apples In Stereo - "indie-rock sunny-pop". It keeps me going. I've also been listening to the fabulous Madeline Peyroux, who I was lucky enough to see in concert in my 20's when she opened for Sarah Mclachlan.

I TASTE:
Best taste of the week - hand's down the Pepperoncini Roast. I've tweaked the recipe now to where we really enjoy it. Get a pot roast and sprinkle it with garlic powder. Get a jar of pepperoncini peppers and drain half the juice. Cut up the peppers (cutting the stems off) and add remaining juice & peppers to crock pot with the roast. Add 3 beef bullion cubes and water and cook on low all day. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Serve over mashed potatoes or white rice - the leftovers make the best sandwiches or wraps...so, so good. You must try it!

I TOUCH:
My aunt & uncle are in a produce co-op and sometimes someone's out of town and we get to buy their share. It's like winning the food lottery...so this was in the box this week. I pulled out my bi-lingual cookbook (recipes side by side in English & Spanish - great practice for me. I don't want to speak Spanish, but I would like to speak Mexican food, lol) and looked up how to make salsa...we're going to try making it later this morning.

I SMELL:
Clementines a.k.a. Cuties...I love it when they're in season! I love how my hands smell after I peel them and their fresh, sweet sunshiny smell. They are a glimpse of summer in winter and I love them for that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra said...

I love this idea! I would love to share it on my Blog and see how far it goes.

10:40 PM  
Blogger cottagerca said...

Emily, saw you were going to make salsa. Here is a sweet salsa, that I use with everything and friends really like it with the corn chips.
Sweet Salsa Dip for chips

Dice the following vegetables

12 cups tomatoes
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
3 jalapeno peppers
4 hot banana peppers
2 onions
4 garlic cloves

2 Tbsp pickling salt

In large pot on stove, boil/simmer above till it thickens. A few hours??

Then add---for the last 15 minutes of cooking

1 cup of vinegar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 can of tomatoes paste

Wash jar’s in dishwasher
Place jars on cookie sheet in hot oven
Pour sauce into jar’s
Tighten
Turn up side down overnight.

Print it and keep it for the fall canning season. Friends of mine, can't go back to the regular salsa anymore. Hooked!!
ava
cottagerca

8:34 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm making this pot roast today - thanks for the recipe!!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home