Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Austen obsession...

I loooooove Jane Austen. Always have. I've read Pride & Prejudice at least twice a year since I was...I dunno...8, 9? I had it (and Emma) on cassette in 4th grade and listened to it every weekend until they finally died in 9th grade. I have it in audio version on my mp3 player right now. (Come to think of it I also have the modern Jane Austen Book Club.) Sense & Sensibility is one of my favorite movies and Clueless, with it's clever adaptation of Emma makes me laugh every time.

PBS is running ALL the Austen novels on Masterpiece Theater (and I'm clearing out the DVR...) on Sunday nights. Some they've filmed new adaptations, others are showing the classics (can we say - Colin Firth is Darcy?)
  • Jan 13 - Persuasion
  • Jan 20 - Northanger Abby
  • Jan 27 - Mansfield Park
  • Feb 3 - Miss Austen Regrets
  • Feb 10, 17 &24 - Pride & Prejudice
  • March 23 - Emma
  • March 30 & April 6 - Sense & Sensibility

...this makes me sooooooo happy. I had to share. If you're an Austen lover, hop on this thread & tell me your favorite Austen novel (or movie) - or tell me if you've read AustenLand. I'm thinking of getting it. And here's a little Darcy-candy to brighten your day...and if you'd prefer a little Colonel Brandon-candy click here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

I'm a huge Austen fan, and must say that I was terribly disappointed in the Sunday night version of Persuasion. I can only hope the other new adaptations that follow will be better. I must heartily agree that Colin Firth IS Darcy - there is no comparison! Love your blog!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Emily Adams said...

You know, I'm glad you said that - I thought it was because Persuasion was my least favorite of the novels..I guess I didn't have very high expectations for that one to begin with. Anyway, I'm all in...gonna watch 'em all.

10:48 AM  
Blogger TriciaNae said...

I heart jane austen. Just so you know.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jane Austin. My daughter, who is 6, would probably sit and watch Pride and Prejudice all day if I would let her. (the Colin Firth version, all the way through). My 3 year old on will often ask to watch Mr. Darcy. The movie quotes they come out with are quite cute.

Tracey B

11:10 AM  
Blogger Call's said...

I keep meaning to catch these Sunday night movies, but haven't got to it yet. I love Jane Austen. I loved Austenland too. It is just a light, fun, read. If you like the 6 hour Collin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice, there are some fun inside "jokes". I met author Shannon Hale at a book signing, and she is delightful...doesn't take herself too seriously at all.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home