Wednesday, March 14, 2007

First signs of Spring...

I walked into the back yard for a minute to check on Matt {he's on vacation this week, tinkering with his many lawn mowers} and was surprised to see the first signs of Spring creeping into our back yard. We got wee wild baby bluebonnets blooming back there. They must've just come out. I love that I can enjoy them from home. They're dotting the entire yard. Bonus: they're illegal to mow so we have to let them & the grass around them grow until after the season {whoopee}.

The bluebonnets come out every late March - early April depending on the weather, so they don't last long, but they can spread to make such a beautiful carpet of blue! I love my home state & I love that I have a mini field of bluebonnets right off my back porch!
If you're not a native Texan you can *read the Legend of the Bluebonnet here*.

6 Comments:

Blogger Trisha said...

I so miss Bluebonnets. Ohio is so dreary and so not pretty right now. Aside from a good chicken fried steak I miss the bluebonnets the most.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Emily Adams said...

Texas is: bluebonnets, chicken fried steak, sweet tea, big hair, lawn mower races, margaritas & salsa, a blast of air conditioning on a hot day, popsicles on the front porch, fried okra or fried jalapenos, calling people ma'am & ya'll, knowing your neighbors and going to church on a Sunday. There's nowhere else I'd rather call home!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just an FYI from a native Texan too, it's not illegal to mow or pick bluebonnets. It's actually an urban legend. You can read about it on the TX DPS website. Love your blog!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Emily Adams said...

Wow - shocker. I never questioned that when I heard it & so many people say it I assumed it was gospel truth. Well, I'm not telling Matt, because I don't want my blue babies mowed over!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look like muscari (grape hyachinths). They're lovely.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Kim J. said...

I am so excited for the bluebonnets. I just moved here 2 years ago from Nevada (home of no flowers)! I can't wait until they are a little more bloomed to go and take pictures! First time to your blog and love it...it won't be the last time you hear from me ;)

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home