Wednesday, November 29, 2006

What a difference a year makes...

One year ago today I was short of breath & not feeling well. I went to work. Worked late. When I came home was talking to my husband and fell over, mid-sentence. Paralyzed & terrified. I'd had a stroke. I didn't know if I was going to live, let alone walk {it only deadened my left leg}. I had a job I loved that I wanted to stay at "forever". I was dependent and passive.

Within 3 months I got my pacemaker. Within 4 months I was out of my leg braces. The job I loved so much broke my heart when they decided to close us down and now I was facing imminent unemployment. I found strength physically & emotionally I didn't even know I had. I've learned so much this year. I've grown so much this year. I have a job that I LOVE with a company I believe in. I am empowered, confident & independent.

This is what I know:
1. My husband, Matt, is an angel. He is my rock. He has had to endure so much these 12 months I'm not sure how he's weathered it. But he has never complained and not only has he helped me when I physically couldn't get around our house - he's supported me and believed in me and really empowered me to realize there was "life after Magic Scraps".
2. I can do anything. I spent a lot of my life with an - "oh, I can't do that" attitude. No more. I'm taking risks, learning & trying. And it makes me happier than I've been in a long time. Ashley especially has helped me learn a lot this year & we've grown closer because of it. Ginger & I have grown much closer this year as well - thank God for good friends.
3. I have a future. When I was initially diagnosed at 28 they said without treatment I would've died before 30. Since then my life was always discussed in terms of years, not decades. they tell me now I''m going to get "old and wrinkly". That's downright glorious. Amen.

So as a symbol of all that I've achieved this year I chose today to launch www.EmilyAdamsOnFire.com. I designed the site myself {unheard of a year ago} and Ashley taught me how to upload it last night. It will be expanding more soon so bookmark it & check back.

Thank you, all of you - friends, family & scrapbookers for all the support you've given me over the last 12 months. I couldn't have made it through without you!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. Your contagiously happy spirit and endless creativity and beauty flow into everyone you meet. I love you Emily!!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kandice said...

WOW! I'm so blown away by how great your new site is!!! Congrats!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
Wow, what a fantastic and inspiring story.
love the new site!
Ang

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when you were "whining" about being able to get the sight done in time, not knowing how etc...and I was laughing...i still just had NO idea just how good it would be. You not only acheived it honey, your new sight is amazing! Great job!

All the other stuff from this year...crazy, but so glad you are on fire now!

love you emmy,
kim

3:33 PM  
Blogger Emily Adams said...

yes, America, I was "whining"...told from a true family perspective.
Extra big hugs to my family for putting up with me through the growing pains of getting the site up & running!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So proud of the things you had to overcome this year, proud that you are healthy & happy, proud that you got this site up and running, proud to call you my friend.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

Wow, Emily! I never would've thought any of this happened to you...You were so energetic when I met you this summer. You rock! And the site looks fabulous.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Emily on taking a huge challenge and making it into a successful life! Your work is beautiful and you are such a wonderful person and I love your new site! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Emmy-

I am so proud of you and all of your accomplishments. I have known for all these years that you had greatness within- you just had to have the courage to let it out! You have always been my sister, even back in the "wild days". Love ya!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Emily! Been trying to get into my login for a week - UGH! But wanted to write that you are such a strong spirit and I am so lucky to meet ya! Keep up terrific inspiration you send out to us!!!! HUGS, MargieH in Chicago

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home