Friday, February 24, 2006

For a hero...

Once again I zonked out after dinner, slept through all the "good parts" of the Olympics & here I am - after my bedtime, wide awake with only the computer, cable & a honey bun instead of carrots* to keep me company.
*(I'm only human - sometimes I just have to have a honey bun instead).

With the surgery and everything I missed the chance to tell you about Jim. Jim is Sharon's nephew (you remember Sharon - my "fingers" right after the surgery; my stepmother). Jim has been serving with the army in Iraq. The night before I had my pacemaker operation, they got the call they were dreading. Jim had been injured, seriously; he and three others had stepped on a landmine - perhaps you saw it on the news in a passing sentence...that was Jim.

Constant phone calls among her family members trying to get news, spreading the little inforation they had. Sharon's sister (Aunt Elaine) thought to get her senator involved, who in turn got the pentagon involved, and information began to flow pretty quickly after that.

Luckily, the device they came across was homemade & therefore not as powerful as a regular landmine. Jim was airlifted to a hospital in Germany & has already had multiple surgeries on his shattered legs. His parents and wife are with him now & we get email reports every day.

I wanted to take the time to say, thank you Jim for your sacrifices. I'm praying for your recovery. God bless you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home