Thursday, September 18, 2008

Consipracy theory...

So I have a theory...my veins know when I'm headed to the doctor. They go into hiding and retreat for dear life. It's a conspiracy. From the gist of this post you can guess where I ended up this morning...

I had no idea this was a blood work appointment, but as fast as they could say "go to the lab", my veins went into quick retreat. I don't know - they call it "rolling veins"...my family's veins actually move out of the way when we're stuck with a needle.

The "bloodsuckers" (as my uncle affectionately calls nurses) always had such a hard time sticking my mom. I remember one nurse said, "You can scream, curse - whatever makes you feel good, sweetie. I've heard it all." And when she stuck her, my mom yelled at the top of her lungs "I COULD GET YOU FIRED FOR THIS!!!!" Poor thing. She froze, slack-jawed. Apparently, she hadn't heard everything.

I think of that now & smile every time I get blood drawn. So back to this morning. Right elbow, no luck. Left elbow, nothing. Left hand, no good. So where did they end up drawing from??? Left KNUCKLE!!! That really hurts!!!!

So, while I was there (and since, apparently I'm a masochist) I decided to go ahead and get my flu shot. FYI - it really burns this year & my arm looks like there's been half a hard boiled egg stuffed in it. I've never had this kind of reaction to a flu shot before. Don't get me wrong - I've had one every year since I was 17 & I'm a strong believer that everyone should get one...but, man. Ow.

OK, I'll quit whining now...

...and if you haven't already, go over to the Luxe blog to enter to win that great giveaway!

5 Comments:

Blogger cottagerca said...

thanks for the luxe reminder! I too just got back from the doc....yearly checkup. my homework is:
mamogram, bone density, fecal, blood work....i think that should be enough till next year....
ava, cottagerca

6:23 PM  
Blogger Brian K said...

This post actually made me spit out my coffee I laughed so hard!

Gee thanks! I needed that!

Brian

12:21 PM  
Blogger SplendidlyImperfect said...

YIKES! You make me thankful for big, strong veins, LOL! Phlebotomists love me. :)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

After years of infusions, I learned the trick for those rolling veins. Salt the night before (go splurge on that Mexican dinner with extra salt on the chips) and push the liquids the day of (water good, Gatorade better). It really works... I haven't had to be butterflied or poked in an unusual vein for almost two years!

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Owen Madden said...

Hi nice reading your ppost

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home