Sunday, June 15, 2008

"Sense"-ational Sundays...

Our senses tell a story. I've committed to recording my 5 senses for the past week to explore my sensory world. I challenge you to do the same. If you choose to do so, just blog your 5 senses every Sunday & let me know, I'd love to read them.

I SEE: Our Guest Bedroom
We've kind of let it evolve into our dumping ground for all the junk that has accumulated in our house. So our big project this weekend has been getting it guest ready again. It's not done yet, but it's emerging & will be done by tonight. Which is a good thing because my friend Martha will be staying with us Monday night...

I HEAR: Karaoke

Matt, Meg & I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant Friday night, Amigo's. It had recently expanded (again) and we sat in the new section...and *surprise* they had a stage, crazy fun lighting and karaoke! So - it had to be done! Meg did an awesome rendition of Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 and I did Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot. It was so much fun. We'll be headed back up on a Friday night soon!

I TASTE: Chocolate Chip Waffles

Thanks to Meg. Meg wants to be a chef when she grows up & loves cooking. I've never mastered waffles, but after (yet another) tutorial I think I can swing it now. Meg made the chocolate chip wonders Saturday morning.

I TOUCH: Microplush
We've discovered the best blankets ever - microplush! We bought a twin one for our guest bedroom a few months ago, but Meg has totally claimed it for her own when she's here. So we went and bought another for the guest bedroom. I am sure before the year is out we will break down & get a queen size one for our bedroom, we just need to find a color that will work with our bedding.

I SMELL: Home Cooking
We have (for the most part) stuck to our guns and cooked at home almost every night. Having the produce has been wonderful. This weeks coop selection brought us: watermelon, nectarines, cantaloupe, cherries, lettuce, yellow squash, beets, broccoli & mushrooms. Now, beets are a mystery to me. Can anybody tell me what to do with them????

6 Comments:

Blogger Robin Kirkpatrick said...

Beets are one of my faves and they are really easy to prepare. Just wash them up, cut off the greens, but leave about an inch or so. Wrap them in foil and roast them at about 350 for say an hour or so - it's very forgiving. Once they've cooled, peel them under running water by scraping the skin with a paring knife - the skin will peel away easily. Cut off the root end and either slice, chop or cut into wedges. Serve them in a salad of field greens (or other lettuce) with a nice balsamic vinaigrette and plenty of goat cheese (or blue cheese works too). Yummmm! I like mixing the red beets with golden beets - very pretty on the plate. Now you're making me wish I'd picked some up when I was at Whole Foods yesterday.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Mmmmm... beets. I'm SOOOOO jealous. One of my favorite vegetables. I love them cold and pickled but any style is great.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kip said...

beets? throw them away, that's what I'd do, lol!
I think I'm going to do your 5 senses today since I showed such a nice video the other day of my dog's balls....

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds wonderful....
Cold Beet and Yogurt Summer Soup
4 medium beets boiled till tender, then peeled and quartered
2 cups plain yogurt
2 shallots peeled and minced
dash of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of minced fresh dill

Mix the beets (in chunks or pureed) with the yogurt, shallots, cumin, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Serve in bowls and sprinkle with dill.
I found this in French Women Don't Get Fat and while I haven't tried it yet everything else from this book has been so tasty.
Enjoy all your fresh veg.
jen

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like beets! lol

But I love waffles! Now I want them!

have an excellent week!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Kim Mailhot said...

I love your idea about celebrating all your senses ! Here a taste one for youto try !
My Russian Grandmother made this delicious beet salad, "vinegret" for all out special occasions. It is delicious in summer time and a meal in itself with a piece of fresh rye or pumpernickel bread.
My grandmother's recipe is pretty close to this one but I have one added tip - buy "American" hotdog saurkraut - take it out of the bag and squeeze it until all the liquid is out of the pickled cabbage then chop it finely before adding it to the salad. Also if you can find "half sour" dill pickles in your deli section these are the best for this recipe !
Hope you'll try it. It's worth the work !
Russian Beet Salad
http://www.recipezaar.com/140851

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home