Sunday, May 04, 2008

"Sense"-ational Sundays...

Our senses tell a story. I've committed to recording my 5 senses for the past week to explore my sensory world. I challenge you to do the same. If you choose to do so, just blog your 5 senses every Sunday & let me know, I'd love to read them.

I got a great comment on my sense-ational Sunday last week - Crystal said "I bet it really makes you appreciate your surroundings!" That comment stuck with me and I realized it really has. I am conscious of anything sensory that "creates a memory" during the week. Before I was primarily focused on what I saw and what I heard, but paying more attention to all my 5 senses has made me a better scrapbooker.

Also before I started, I wanted to give a shout out to Jen (Moody), Jen (Tillman) & Brandy who have regularly been doing Sense-ational Sunday posts with me. I'm going to start a section in my sidebar for Sense-ational Sunday posters, so let me know if you're up for the challenge & I'll add you to my links!

I SEE:
Meg again this weekend. She had classes to kit up at Luxe this weekend which means she come over & spent the night again. She has a new haircut (which she says has already grown out way too much) and these jeans. These are her favorite new pants. While her parents were out of town she ripped and bleached them herself out of the closet (oh, I remember those days).

I HEAR:
I've had Finger 11's song Paralyzer stuck in my head this week (which is so unlike what I usually like, I'm at a loss). I've also started listening to Kidd Kraddick on the way to work ever since Ashley's husband Ben became their webmaster. It's a long story...but they've gotten me listening to Freddy. Click here to read all about Freddy & his saga. Can you say young Billy Joel? Sweet...

I TASTE:
Electra, yum. Tastes like springtime. It's a light wine made from Orange Muscat grape juice just on the verge — halfway between wine and grape juice. The alcohol is only 4% (most wines are at least 12%) - so it's just my speed and it doesn't make me sleepy or goofy. It's really peachy with melon undertones and is awesome with fresh fruit.

I TOUCH:
The computer keyboard. Oof, I've been on the computer a lot lately. I've had lots of creative time, but it's been in illustrator building web components for work or working on button designs for ManHandled. I'm aching to touch paper & paint but there just hasn't been time. The picture? I thought it would be funny to take a picture of me typing & while I was playing with my camera settings I took this...and, yes, I do have like a zillion flower rings now. What can I say? I blame Etsy.

I SMELL:
Lemony Flutter. This stuff smells and is amazing - and a little goes such a long way! Stacy originally told me about it when we were out on a "teacher field trip" at ScrapBowl and I've made sure I've had some ever since. My skin is so dry & this stuff is great for rehydrating my scar without getting all slimy (like the vitamin E oil) - so it's been Lemony Flutter by day & the E oil at night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I don't have a blog yet but wanted to share that I think this is a fun way to spend a Sunday ..here are my senses , kinda corny but part of my everyday life that I stopped and remembered - thanks for the challenge, life IS too short :)

Cheers~ Scrappy Val (scrappyvals@hotmail.com)
I see - a big bag of clothes I need to take to Goodwill
I hear - the neighbors new baby crying out the upstairs window
I taste - a Krispy Kreme donut - OMG it's been like forever since I've had one
I touch - icky things in trash looking for my sons cherished golden dollar coins YUCK!
I smell - the chicken drumsticks frying in the pan for dinner

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum lemon flutter- i can smell it now. thanks for the shout out. i think that doing this each sunday has helped me pay more attention to my surrounding. i also think that it will be great to look back at- being able to remember things that would have otherwise slipped away. tis very nice indeed.
have a lovely week.
jen t

7:47 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

Hi Emily,
I'm up for the challenge. I love the idea of being more aware of my surrounding & how I sense them. I'll be starting today Sunday May 10th. Here is my blog:
www.auniqueflair.blogspot.com.
Thanks for some great inspiration!
Cindy

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home