Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Emily On Break ...

Hello there. This is Emily's Aunt Carol blogging for Emily, as she is currently without computer access.

It turns out that Emily was sicker than any of us realized. She managed to get extremely dehydrated over the weekend. When she got up to go to the bathroom early Sunday morning, she passed out and fell in the worst room in the house. There are no soft surfaces in a bathroom! Emily landed on her elbow and hit her left temple on the toilet paper dispenser.

Unfortunately, Matt had left to visit his parents, thinking Emily was on the mend. After she came to, she called me for help, and I told her to call 911, as they could get to her faster than I could. She was able to call 911 and unlock the front door before she passed out again. I met her at the emergency room, where her blood pressure was so low it would not register until they administered some fluids. Meanwhile, Emily's dad and stepmother arrived at the ER. Dad called Matt, and he headed home from New Braunfels.

As the day wore on, Emily responded to the rehydration, her blood pressure reached normal, her arm was x-rayed, she got a CT scan of her head, her pacemaker was checked and found to be functioning normally. No concussion, but the arm was broken at the elbow in several places. It was splinted to provide comfort until an orthopedic surgeon could check her out. She finally was admitted to a hospital room at about one o'clock on Monday morning.

Later on Monday, the bone doc visited and told her that surgery was required to assure mobility of her left elbow and fingers. She underwent the operation on Tuesday morning, complete with screws and plates to hold hold that elbow together. Once they opened her up, the breaks were somewhat more extensive than they appeared in the x-ray, but the doctor thinks she'll recover well and achieve good range of motion.

Physical therapy begins today. If she responds well, she'll be home by the weekend.

Emily's a trooper, and she has maintained her sense of humor throughout this whole disaster. She has plenty of family on hand to make sure she takes care of herself during the recovery process. Matt's on vacation this week, so he's been available for moral support. He's not a hospital kind of a guy, so he's given himself a variety of chores and projects to make life easier for Emily when she comes home.

Emily won't be traveling for a while. Luxe has been really wonderful. Jenn will be teaching Emily's classes at CKU Chicago this week. Em's really sad and disappointed that she cannot be there, but that's the breaks (ha ha).

We'll keep you posted as we can.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how much bad luck can a person have?
Emily, I wish you all the best!
Take good care of yourself and let all the family help you get better.

Best wishes from Caecilia
(Scrap-a-ganza The Netherlands)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, please take care of yourself. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and for coping through the pain. Priya from India

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Emily,
Hope you get better soon

11:59 AM  
Blogger kategrizz said...

Emily!

Get well soon - such a scary few days it must have been for you. Glad you are on the mend.

Interesting how disaster can cause me to de-lurk.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, Please take care of yourself and get better. Thoughts and prayers going to out to your for a speedy recovery.

Georgia

1:50 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

OMG! What a week! Japan, flu, hospital, surgery..holy cow batman!
Thanks for the 411. I will send happy healing karma through the web.

Keep well!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Just a Simple Gal - Judy in Huntsville - AL said...

Emily!!!!! How I hated reading this! Please know you are in my prayers for a quick and speedy recovery! ~ Judy

4:33 PM  
Blogger Cindy Andrews said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Em- I am so sorry this happened- I told Matt that I can't get up to the hospital what with baseball and TKD. I AM on Spring Break next week- if you need me to come over, have someone call me and I'll be there- I'll bring Coupling, or some Jane Austen thing and we can have girl time! Love ya sis!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh take care of yourself!

Hope you get better soon!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to call you on your cell. If I can't get through...call me as soon as you can. I'm so sorry to hear this. Thankful you are okay. Stay positive...you always do.
teresa

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I wish you all the best and please take care of yourself ... hope you get better soon

4:26 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

That is AWFUL!! Emily, I hope you are relaxing and getting some much needed rest! I hope you feel better soon!! :-)

4:45 AM  
Blogger mssgrz said...

Oh DEAR! I hope you have a speedy recovery and get well soon. I fractured my foot once, and that was painful, but I could not imagine breaking my elbow! ugh! I can't wait to hear (ok see your blog) once you are better! Sending smiles and prayers your way!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Margie Higuchi said...

O-M-Gosh!!!!
Emily! I am so so sorry to hear about this (thanks to Aunt Carol for the update)!!
Wish you a speedy and quick (or as quickly as it can be) recovery, my friend!!
(((hugs)))

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missing you A LOT here in Chicago! My thoughts and prayers are with you for a quicker than usual recovery...I glad I get to see you soon!
Love you...

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you're not feeling well!! Best wishes for a quick recovery!!

12:27 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

wishing you a speedy recovery! love, angie #2

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhh-not my Emily! You poor thing. Lots of hugs and Chicago will sure miss you! Take care Em!!! Love, Jane

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily! So Sorry to hear about your recent difficulties!! Hopefully you will be having a low-stress, & speedy recovery at home by the time you get to read this. Many thoughts and prayers for you & Matt during your recovery!! Take CARE! Robin F.

8:55 PM  
Blogger scrappaleica said...

Emily, I hope you get better soon! I'm sorry that you had such a bad fall. Please take care of yourself. Thanks to your wonderful family for the updates!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better! Glad to hear that your family is with you and able to help. Always nice to see!!!

Take care and rest and relax!!

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, girl! So sorry to hear about the mishap. Hope you're back on your feet again soon. Let me know if you need any help with the Scrapbook, Eh event next month.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home