Friday, June 01, 2007

My adventure in Amsterdam...

Well, I have surprised myself. Yesterday I finished teaching at 2 pm & figured it was a now or never opportunity. I had no map, no plan & no working cell phone, but after asking for a few directions I hopped on a bus outside my hotel. Half an hour later I arrived at the Alkmaar train depot and took a 30 minute train ride into central Amsterdam. I found the right tram and went straight to the museum district. It was about 4:45 when I got there so there wasn't time to be in line for Anne Frank's house & I had to choose a museum. I ended up at the Van Gogh museum and was thrilled to stay there until it closed. I got to see so many of my favorites. After that I wandered & happened upon the giant Amsterdam sign. I walked down to the canals behind the National Museum and caught another tram back towards the central station until I saw people getting on a boat. I hopped off and got on the canal tour that was leaving right then. It was incredible, I got to see so much of the city. After that I walked the remaining 12 blocks or so back to central station. It took me through the red light district. Um, not my kind of scene, but I thought you couldn't really be here and not walk through it. No I didn't stop & yes I took some pictures. One thing about Amsterdam - it has some beautiful graffiti & lots of it. I love deviant art & ended up taking some great graffiti pics in that area. At some point on the cruise I bumped my camera setting & as a result some of my pics have a greenish tint to them, but I figure I'll convert those to black & white when I scrap them. I had a slice of pizza on the train & got back to the hotel before dark (it doesn't get dark until about 10:45 here) and uploaded the photos and took 2 showers. I am very proud of myself for getting gutsy & going out on my own. It was really amazing, beautiful & empowering.

6 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Good for you!!! I know you are having a fabulous time and can't wait to hear about it when you get back!!

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WWDD! You did it! I'm so proud of you for exploring and having an adventure! I just wish I was with you!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Margie Higuchi said...

WTG, Emily!!!! That's the only way to see a place...explore & venture out. Like Debby, I too wished that I was coming along! Amsterdam is one of those places I want to visit! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

3:36 PM  
Blogger jean said...

Wow. I would have been to scared to go by myself. But you did it and from the sound of it you saw and experienced so much! Congratulations.
jean

9:27 PM  
Blogger Tineke said...

Dear Emily,
Thanks for the fabulous workshop at Pien's. You are such a sweet lady and I was really touched by your story ( I got tears in my eyes too)

4:19 AM  
Blogger Je@net said...

He Emily, I was in your class at the SAG and I ♥loved♥ making the little book!!
Thank you for a great lesson!

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home