Sunday, July 09, 2006

A weekend in New Braunfels...

Well, we trekked to New Braunfels Friday afternoon. I think they moved it. Longest drive of my life...we got caught up in Austin rush hour traffic and the 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive turned into five and a half hours! I packed a ton of work and got so much done. We stayed up and visited {while I worked} Friday and made plans for Saturday.

Saturday morning we woke up to the deer nosing out into the clearing around the front of the house waiting for their breakfast. Matt's dad feeds them every morning. There were over a dozen at one point, they looked at the camera whenever it clicked. I love how trusting they are and how close they get to us. Then Elizabeth did it up with a full breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs. Matt & his dad took off garage sale shopping {yes, we brought home another riding lawn mower, $25}. Elizabeth took Tammy shopping in the morning and I sat down and wrote {and wrote, and wrote}...it was heaven - no distractions, pure concentration. When the girls got back Elizabeth & I hit the quilt shops, looking for cool fabrics. Ran across the "Stein Parade" {funky decorated beer steins - only in New Braunfels!}, had to take a photo - that's my mother-in-law, Elizabeth with the stein outside the downtown quilt shop. I found some fabric I couldn't live without...especially the sock monkeys!

Elizabeth made enchiladas {yummy} for dinner. Matt and his dad went out on the go karts 'til dark, Tammy went to a party, Elizabeth sewed and I worked...'til after midnight. Matt went to bed early - he had a plan. He woke up at five to come home. That's five in the morning. Let's see - I got to sleep after two, what could possibly be wrong with coming home at five? He finally got me in the car by six - and I was OK until just before Waco. We had to make the required stop at the Czech Stop in West. As always, Matt ordered the jalapeno kolaches {he never remembers they are hotter than he really likes}, I got plain smoked sausage and we got a pair of the strawberry cream cheese. And we couldn't go without an extra dozen plain sausage to bring home...If they were closer I'd be in serious danger of gaining a hundred pounds.

So I think Matt's napping on the couch - it's the last day of vacation for him, that's always a somber day...I see a proper, non-car nap in my immediate future {and maybe another kolache}. Then, oh joy - more work to do. There's a sneak preview at some of the stuff I'm looking at on the right. I'll drop you clues as soon as I can...let's just say I'm working on two projects at once.

It's good to be home...

5 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

We missed you at the sale!!

A

11:09 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

OMG.... are you creating your very own line? How freakin' exciting would that be?? Fingers crossed... seriously!

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The deer are BEAUTIFUL. Great photo! Looks like a fun weekend.
-Karen

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deer come up to my front door every morning for breakfast....they eat my roses. Grrrrrrr.......

With the exception of the traffic, it sounds like a great weekend, Em!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I am so proud of you for getting so much done!! Now, if you could get Matt to get Steve to clean..... :-)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home