Sunday, February 01, 2009

"Sense"-ational Sundays...

Our senses tell a story. I've committed to recording my 5 senses for the past week - every week - as an exercise to explore my sensory world. I challenge you to do the same. If you choose to do so, just blog your 5 senses every Sunday & let me know - I'd love to read along!

I SEE: Ice

We had an "ice event" last week - it wouldn't have meant much if we lived somewhere that got cold on a regular basis, but it was enough to shut down the city for a couple of days. I took the opportunity to get some designing done & do a serious tidying up around the house.

I HEAR: Neil Gaman
Yum...I decided to finally take one of Meg's recommendations & start reading some Gaiman this week. I had some credits stacked up through audible.com and when I found out he narrates his own books I downloaded Coraline & The Graveyard Book. WOW. They are SO entertaining! Coraline is relatively short - so I've listened to it a few times now & The Graveyard Book once (it was fantastic!). I downloaded Neverwhere for my next one & the Megster loaned me a paperback version of Good Omens.

I TASTE: Applesauce

I had a drawer full of different varieties of apples from the coop the last few weeks & decided to make applesauce this week. It smells so good when it's cooking...

I TOUCH: Carmex

I am utterly addicted. I've written about it before, but it is true - especially this time of year. I LOVE MY CARMEX!!!!

I SMELL: Garlic
If you've ever been to Pappasito's you've probably tasted their garlic butter they serve with their fajitas. It's Matt's favorite thing...I think he would put it on everything if he could get away with it. Anyway - I figured out how to make & he is soooooooo happy!

Dice (or grate or press) 1 whole head of garlic. Yep, that's a lot of garlic. Lightly salt it and saute it in a little olive oil. Do not let it brown - you want it sweet. Add butter - you want the mix to be about half butter/half evoo. Bring it to a boil. Whip it until it's a little frothy on top. Great with fajitas instead of sour cream & cheese, amazing on steaks, good on veggies too.

But, man your house will smell garlic-y - but unless you're having vampires for dinner, you should be OK.

***a note about On My Desk Thursdays***
I've had a change in schedule & Thursdays have apparently become impossible for me - so I'm moving my "On My Desk" feature to Fridays. I'll resume next week.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ania said...

YES! Gaiman rocks - am a longtime fan here :D Love his novel American Gods - but I hear it's a hit and miss among readers - you either love or hate it. And I adore his graph novels Sandman. Waiting for "The graveyard book" and "Odd and the frost giant" from my local bookstore atm :) You should check out his blog if you haven't yet :)

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home