Friday, April 14, 2006

Kate, Kate, Kate....

Kate, what am I going to do now...

I am genuinely happy (sob) for my friend (sob, sob), Kate Lynch who got a (sob, sob, sob) terriffic job (sob) and left Magic Scraps today.

She wrote me a note which I couldn't read until after she'd gone and after having a long cry I want to share some of my memories of her...

A million years ago (so it seems - actually 3 1/2) we took the plunge and joined Ashley in her relatively new venture, Magic Scraps...we both started in July 2002...


We had our desks next to each other, then shared an office, and later I still came to her office every day to compare ideas & brainstorm...

I had forgotten I'd taken Kate out to lunch on her first day...she didn't & put it in her note - I think it's really special she remembered that.

When I think of Kate I think of: laughter, a tremendous sense of fun, a certain practicality that I really admire, endless energy, faith, Vanilla diet coke from Sonic, cherry
diet coke in the fridge, flip flops vs. "fancy" shoes, and that I should watch the news more, read my bible more, go to the movies more & listen to more music to be able to stay up with the conversation... :)
It feels like we've been everywhere together...San Diego, Chicago, Anaheim, NYC, Vegas, Provo, Indianapolis, Seattle & Austin just to name a few. I remember trips Buca (everywhere it seemed), the margaritas by the yard in Vegas (ouch) & our trip to Pebbles, the night we let you get into that random car in Indianapolis (sorry, again), our day in NYC (the View, Macy's MAC makeovers, Serendipity & Gray's Papaya), that really cool dessert place at the Bellagio, speaking of which - Sugar in Chicago, and countless trips to Sonic at happy hour........

You visited me when I was sick & covered my teaching engagements when I wasn't able to do them myself...you came to my mom's funeral (you didn't have to do that - it really meant a lot to me). You talked me through greif, stress, fear and all of life's day to day insanities...

Kate...good luck. I know you'll be successful at whatever you do. You've touched my life & I feel like a better person for having spent so much time with you. Keep in touch....

Where are your favorite pictures when you really need them??? Pictures (the ones I could find) from top to bottom: Kate in Times Square (2003), Emily, Kate & Kayte in Times Square (2003), me, Pam, Kayte & Kate in the audience at the View (2003), Kate & Pam at the Inwood Lounge in Dallas (maybe 2002?), me, Penny & Kate in front of Paris in Vegas (2002), me, Kate, Tracy & Ashley (the "girls of Magic Scraps") today at lunch (2006).

1 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Lambie said...

Ahhh.... we are going to miss Kate! Holy cow, Emily! Where in the world did you dig those old photos up??(hee,hee.) "Memories.... like the corner of my mind. Misty, watercolor memories..." Anyway, girl, I hope all is well and we must get together soon.

Smooches.
Pam Lambie

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home