Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Power of Deconstruction

One of my art teachers in college would always tell me, "Emily if you can create it once, imagine how great it will be if you destroy it and begin again. You are creative. You proved that when you made it the first time. Free yourself to improve on that and start again." Smart woman...I (we) spend so much time and effort getting things right the first time that we often doubt the power of deconstruction. So many times I have been "almost" finished with something when I spill my drink or drop on some rub-ons or maybe an ink pad - you'll love this - or tip over an open (completely unscrewed) bottle of glue. Every time I started over the finished product was better than what I started with. Every time. I hated every minute of the recreate, but the results were always worth it.

Why am I waxing philosophical today? Let's put it this way, I did a little deconstructing today and instead of getting ruffled & procrastinating I just did it - and I am really happy with the results. I feel like I accomplished a lot today.

I talked to friend I hadn't heard from in a while, Mary Lawler from Canson. We talked about catalogs & samples and things, and then we took a few minutes to catch up on each other's lives. This is such a small industry we work in, it feels more like a family than a "job". Unless I miraculously make it to CKU Provo this year, I might not be seeing her until Master's. I also talked to Theresa this afternoon. She's been so good about checking up on me. It's been a real comfort to talk to someone who's been through a stroke & a full recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home