Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Getting a flipping education...

This single device causes more frustration in our house than anything else I can think of...

- Where is it?
- What did you do with/where are the batteries?
- He flips too fast. I flip too slow.
- I/he wanted to watch that...
- We always watch what you want to watch {used both ways}
- No I'm not mad. {huff, huff}
- By the time you finish flipping all the shows you wanted to check back on will be over.

Well, today, when I was told "I don't know how to flip", I had to laugh. My show of the day {Eureka} wasn't on for an hour so I asked him, "Please, o wise one, teach me how to flip properly" - and he did. I had a one hour lesson on how to "correctly" use my remote control. My. Remote. Control. Now when I say "correctly", I mean the way that will keep him quiet...

Ladies, I know you're dying for the secret of remote excellence, so here goes:
  • Develop a rhythm and execute a fast click review. Commercial? don't wait, click - can't tell? don't wait, click - if it's good, you'll catch it on the next round
  • Do a full channel round of clicking slightly slower, to see if any of the commercials from 30 seconds ago are off - you may stop briefly if there's major news, anything on fire, wrestling or any episode of COPS - just to see if there are any situations you need to monitor
  • Pick your specific top channels and enter them into the remote in sequence, giving each of your top channels a chance to impress you {12-44-37-43-15-45-46-29-52-51 - btw, I have too many top channels and am advised to cull it down to about 3 to fully utilize the "quick reverse" button on the remote}

I think his system is kinda cute...I had to laugh, and he laughed too. Just when I was finally getting the hang of it he said - now choose one and stay there. Where's the fun in that? All that flipping education and he's asleep on the couch before the next round of shows started...cute thing - he's so adorable when he's sleeping. I have a great husband, I really do. Changing my flipping etiquette is a small price to pay, and if I want to aggravate him apparently all I have to do is start flipping v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y...

9 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Hah! That's MY husband too! Flips thru at every commercial break, never stops at any of my favorite shows, and is asleep before you know it. It's then I steal the remote and watch what I want to ... MEN! ;)

10:54 PM  
Blogger CircesMagic said...

If I had to flip through all 800 channels I would seriously hurt someone...You "flipping" lesson was cute though.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

This is so funny, it is the same way in my house except I went out and got an extra remote just for me that I have in a secret place. I also have the pleasure of having the 3 kids flipping also.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Emily Adams said...

OMG, an extra remote! I know you probably got it for when it's lost, but I can just picture it - dueling remotes...like a western quickdraw at noon aiming at the television...ROTFLOL - love that!!!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats why I and let me express the letter "I" run the remote.. hahhaaaa
God that sounds so like Matt!!!!

Dee

1:00 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

I LOL when I read your blog! This is always an argument in our home. Thanks for a good laugh!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh out loud! Love it! Have fun in Boston...but not too much! I know it won't be the same without the posse!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - too funny!!! That's soooooo like a man!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, this is too funny! We go through the same thing in our house. I will have to try out this method and see if it gets me anywhere! Too-too funny!!!!
Allison Connors

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home