Sunday, November 09, 2008

PSA: Headphones & Pacemakers

So, I'm watching the news, minding my own business when this story comes on...which is odd since I just bought new headphones for my Mp3 Friday night & I'm a notorious headphone dangler...

"Have a pacemaker or an implanted defibrillator? Don't keep your earbuds in your shirt pocket or draped around your neck -- even when they're disconnected. A study finds that some headphones can interfere with heart devices if held very close to them."

I had no idea. And I try to really keep up with this kind of thing since my pacemaker is, like the only thing that's been keeping me alive for the last couple of years. Here are some other things that interfere you might not think of - drive thru car washes, lawn mowers {I know, the irony of it!}, cell phones {I can't ever use mine on my left ear} and compressors {which is how my husband keeps me out of the garage - lol}.

So here's what gets me...NO WARNING ON THE PACKAGING. None. I hate that. I'm really peeved. There was one line - for more product information go to our website...So I did & after I put the serial number in the warning was on the 2nd page. Great. That really helps me out after I've listened to them for 12 hours straight. I mean, c'mon, this is important information.

Apparently, I can wear them, but it's really dangerous to let one dangle out of my ear, like when I stop listening to talk to someone...and heaven knows I did that a lot. Well, NO MORE.

Thank you for reading, I had to rant to somebody. Please share this if you know anyone else with a pacer/defib combo & don't dangle. And if you do, don't hug me...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Em. I really hate that packaging doesn't have any kind of warnings!

I'm glad you did some research and found the warnings!

Take care!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Juls said...

Wow, you are one lucky lady to have found out all of that information! You would think the doctors would have also warned you about these things.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what is it about the headphones that can cause issues? Are there some sort of magnets in the little speakers? Sounds like you just need to get some sort of wireless earpiece...you'll start to look more and more the cyborg part!

Luv ya,
sis Kim :)

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIKES! Who would have have thought that! Good thing you're a great listener Em! No more head phones for you! I like you too much! J

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home