Thursday, September 13, 2007

A weekend in September...

Yes, it has been a long time - long enough that some of you have been checking in with me. Here's what I've been up to: I've been busy at work - I've conceptualized 5 new classes and brainstormed 24 others (and yes, that's 24 class ideas on paper). I have been enjoying some "quality Matt time". He had vacation last week & I took off a few days to be with him. We got to see a movie and do some other fun stuff out & about Dallas. We got all domestic and did a big straighten up around the house & it's been really calming and wonderful. I finished all six books in the Undead series. We've had unseasonably cool weather & I've gotten to open up the windows and air out the house (so nice). Matt's allergies finally arrived with a vengeance (at least this year it was after his vacation) & now he's doped to the hilt...let's see - what else? Had a nice dinner with Martha - our schedules finally meshed on Tuesday & I cooked. Oh, and I am loving choir right now. Alto power!!!

I was watching Humberto's path last night & got the shivers when I thought it was headed for Galveston. I am a history buff and ran across the book (A Weekend in September) several years ago when my friend Angie and I went to Galveston. I have read the book at least once every hurricane season since. I was awed by the scale of a natural disaster that I knew nothing about. To put it in perspective - Katrina/1,600 deaths - the Galveston storm/8,000 deaths. It was the deadliest natural disaster to ever happen on American soil. I've even read Isaac's storm (a bit more technical than the other) about five times for a better understanding of what happened there. I was really humbled by "how soon we forget". Every time I see hurricane coverage I get a chill and think of that weekend in September and remember the graphic and sad coverage of Katrina and try to amplify that by four times over...unbelievable...God bless all hurricane survivors.

....well. That WAS a tangent. If you haven't read up on the Galveston hurricane of 1900 I think you should. It's a tragic but important part of American history we should never forget.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ginger said...

That actually sounds interesting. I didn't know about it but I like to read that sort of stuff.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home